The following post is from contributing writer Kristia.
These Banana Nut Pancakes are so delicious they will surely become a family favorite. Chopping the bananas instead of mashing them intensifies the banana flavor and prevents these pancakes from being mushy.
Make a double batch for your freezer. Pop the frozen pancakes in the toaster for a quick and hearty breakfast or snack.
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ripe bananas, finely chopped
- ¼ cup chopped nuts, such as walnuts, pecans, almonds
- In a mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- In a small bowl, combine the wet ingredients well: honey, beaten egg, buttermilk, applesauce, vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the mixing bowl with the flour mixture. Stir until just combined. It is okay if the batter is somewhat lumpy.
- Add the chopped bananas and nuts and gently mix in with the batter.
- Heat a non-stick griddle on low. Pour the batter onto the griddle in ¼ cup measurements. When the batter starts to bubble and the underside is golden brown, flip the pancakes and cook the other side until cooked through.
- Top with fresh fruit and your favorite syrup.
No buttermilk on hand? Just combine 1 tablespoon white vinegar with enough milk to make the one cup. Let sit for 5 minutes before adding the mixture to the recipe.
Find more delicious breakfast ideas at the The Happy Housewife Recipe Index.