By contributing writer Tessa
What mom does not long for quick and easy food items to throw in front of her family? How about we make it nutritious, irresistible, and pretty to look at too?
In need of a super quick snack for my kids, I wanted to adapt my Healthy “Peanut Butter” Cups recipe for an after school snack. I did not want to mold or dip. I wanted to whir and dump and be done! This recipe was the answer. It contains healthy fat via the coconut oil and coconut butter and protein from the seed butter. These quick and easy “peanut butter” cups are just as addicting as their counterparts.
You will want to store these in the fridge unless you live in a very cool climate. They are better there anyway…it might help you resist them a touch more!
Ingredient Note: I make my own coconut butter as it is really easy and much cheaper. If you prefer to use all coconut oil, you can, but the results will be much softer, so freezer storage is a must. Costco and Trader Joes both sell coconut oil at affordable rates, and it is an excellent healthy oil to be subbing into your baked goods whenever possible!
Also, you can use any nut or seed butter you have on hand, they all work the same, just taste different!
Quick & Easy Paleo 'Peanut Butter' Cups - Healthy Candy!
- 1/4 cup nut or seed butter
- 1/4 cup coconut butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2-4 tablespoons maple syrup honey, or preferred liquid sweetener. You want to do this to taste, but note that the more sweetener you add, the more soft the end product will be.
- 1-2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder optional
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips to taste.
- In the bowl of a food processor, whir all the ingredients except the chocolate chips until smooth.
- Add the chocolate chips, and pulse a couple of times to mix.
- Pour a generous tablespoon of the mixture into muffin liners (mini or large), silicone molds, or you favorite candy molds.
- Place in the freezer for 15 minutes to firm up, or in the fridge for about an hour.
- Drizzle with melted chocolate if you like (I just did it for the pictures!).