By contributing writer Beth
I’ve always loved night time, and so mornings aren’t really my brightest moments in life. I love to sleep in. So when we have overnight guests, I try extra hard to prep everything for breakfast in advance. Nobody wants to stay at someone’s house and have to wait until noon to get a bite to eat, right? So this overnight breakfast casserole was really a great solution for our family!
It’s hearty and feeds a huge crowd. It’s mild enough for the kids and a good foundation for parents to get creative. Here are some ideas for toppings that will let your guests customize their breakfast:
- Sour Cream (or we always sub with plain Greek yogurt)
- Hot Sauce
- Crushed Red Pepper
- More cheese (Okay, this is pretty much my motto. “You can’t have too much cheese!”)
Plus, this is a perfect overnight casserole to serve on Christmas morning, since all the work is done the night before and you just have to pop it into the oven after presents are opened!
Overnight Smoked Sausage & Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 30 ounces shredded frozen hash brown potatoes
- 14 - 16 ounces smoked sausage, sliced
- sour cream
- hot sauce
- crushed red pepper
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, cream, milk, ricotta, salt, pepper, and onion powder. Mix until no lumps of ricotta remain.
- Mix in all of the remaining ingredients. Stir until potatoes are thoroughly coated.
- Pour into greased pan. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, remove from refrigerator and leave aluminum foil on top. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake with foil on for 50 minutes or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove foil. Return to oven for 5-10 minutes until the top is lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes uncovered before slicing.