The following is a guest post from Lynn who blogs at Lynn’s Kitchen Adventures. She is a stay at home mom, married for 14 years with 3 children. She loves to cook and try new recipes.
One of the things I like about cooking during the fall and winter is cooking soup. I love soup. There is nothing better on a cold day than a nice warm bowl of soup. There are so many different variations of soup, but most soups are just basic comfort foods. They are usually easy to prepare and are one dish meals. You can add bread, but many soups don’t even need that.
I adapted this recipe from Paula Deen, and it is very good. It really is like lasagna in the form of a soup. The original recipe called for broken lasagna noodles, but I used egg noodles. I usually have egg noodles on hand, and they are cheaper.
The recipe calls for melting the cheese in the oven, but I think you could just sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top of the soup in the bowl. I have oven safe bowls, so I put it under the broiler. I think doing it this way makes it even better because the cheese gets nice and melted and a little brown on top. But, either way will work.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 32-ounce box chicken broth
- 2 14.5-ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups egg noodles
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large pan, combine ground chuck, onion, bell pepper and garlic.
- Cook over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until beef is browned and crumbles.
- Drain well.
- Stir in thyme, brown sugar, broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, and salt into cooked meat mixture.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add noodles, and simmer until noodles are tender.
- Preheat broiler.
- Ladle soup into 8 to 10 ovenproof bowls.
- Evenly sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Broil soups, 6-inches from heat, 3 to 4 minutes, until cheese is browned and bubbly.
A few other soup recipes you must try:
- Beef Soup in a Bread Bowl
- Cheddar Potato Soup
- Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Crock Pot Recipe: Navy Bean Soup
- Curried Pumpkin Soup