Hemp seeds and flax are great nutritional boosts to these healthy gluten free granola bars.
With the start of school, the return of after school snacks is a reality in most mom’s lives! If you are like me, you want to try and make something that is kid pleasing, but still loaded with good things for their growing bodies.
Hemp seeds are a great addition into any diet for loads of reasons:
- High in Omega 6 and omega 3’s, two essential fatty acids
- High in fiber to keep you full longer and help with regularity.
- High in GLA’s (Gamma Linolenic Acid), great for regulating hormones
- Research has shown it to be beneficial fr lowering blood pressure and raining your good cholesterol!
These granola bars will satisfy hunger and and make a great, healthy snack for your family. Don’t forget to personalize your bars to your own tastes with the mix ins….lots of options!!
Gluten Free Granola Bars w/ Hemp Seeds
- 2 cup gluten free oats toasted for additional flavor*
- 1/3 cup hemp seeds/hearts
- 1/3 cup flax meal
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil other fats should work too
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/3 cup palm sugar or more to taste, and granulated sugar would work
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Mix In's: sliced toasted almonds chocolate chips, rainbow drops, raisins, cranberries, any additional seeds or nuts)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line a 7" x 11' rectangle pan with parchment.
- In a bowl, whisk the dry ingredients.
- In a small saucepan over medium low heat, gently melt the coconut oil, honey, and palm sugar together to dissolve sugar.
- Mix in the vanilla and sea salt.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and stir to moisten well. Mix in any favorite add ins at this point.
- Press the mixture evenly into the parchment lined pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until just turning golden.
- Let cool for several minutes before cutting into desired size, and then return to pan to cool entirely and firm up.