The following is a post from Andrea Green.
Don’t let the decadent name fool you. Baked Banana Split Oatmeal really is a healthy choice! This recipe is made with both whole grain oats and fresh fruit, but the addition of a bit of dark chocolate on the top means your family will soon add this recipe to their favorites list!
I add greek yogurt to the top of mine because I like the tangy taste to offset the sweet. Plus, it adds a little extra protein to the meal. However, I suppose if you were going for “Mom of the Year” you could use a bit of real whipped cream. Just don’t forget to put a cherry on top.
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 2 cups rolled oats (not quick oats)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoong salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips or small chunks
- Optional: Greek Yogurt, Maraschino Cherries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease an 11x7 inch pan.
- Line the bottom of the pan with sliced bananas.
- Layer the sliced strawberries over the bananas.
- In a small bowl, mix together the oats, walnuts, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Layer the mixture evenly over the strawberries.
- In a small bowl, mix together the milk, egg, melted butter, and vanilla. Pour evenly over the oats.
- Sprinkle the chocolate over top.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the oatmeal has set.
- Serve hot. If desired, top with a dollop of greek yogurt with a maraschino cherry on top.
You can find more delicious meal ideas at the The Happy Housewife Recipe Index.