By contributing writer Tessa
Some days, after you have made the main course for dinner, you need a quick and easy vegetable to throw together. In our house, we get a lot of mileage out of bagged salad and pre-washed broccoli. While I certainly love these vegetables, I also love variety, but often I don’t have the energy to do much!
Pilfering the veggie drawer one evening while dinner simmered, I discovered my pre-shredded bag of cabbage. I was going to throw a slaw together but then opted for this simple Sautéed Cabbage and Bacon. The results are a drool-worthy side that one can easily polish off by his or herself in one sitting! Bacon just makes everything better.
Sauteed Cabbage and Bacon
- 2 slices thin cut bacon I used trader Joe's Black Forest Bacon, a thin-cut variety, thinly sliced or diced
- 10 ounces shredded cabbage I used pre-shredded from Trader Joes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add the bacon and saute until mostly crispy and golden.
- Toss in the cabbage with a few pinches of sea salt, stirring to mix.
- Saute for 2-4 minutes until cabbage is wilted but still has some crunch left to it.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.
Katie B. says
Bacon and cabbage go together so well! Your recipe reminds me I haven’t had cabbage in a while. Crazy, because I love it so. I think I’ll add it to this week’s grocery list now!
Good idea Katie….sometimes we need to see it to remind us!!
We love sauteed cabbage, but with bacon, yum. Simple and tasty, will definitely be adding it to our menu soon!
You’ll love it Nancy!! So quick and easy!!
Denise A. says
I’ve made this for years. Try sprinkling Jamaican Allspice on it while cooking, It really brings out the flavor!
Great idea Denise!!