The following is a guest post from Jenn K, staff member at The Happy Housewife.
In my family, it’s an annual tradition at Christmas time for the ladies to get together and do all the holiday baking at once and then divide the spoils among our families. It’s a fun day of laughter, chatting, and taste testing! And, it’s nice to do all the baking at one time, so there’s just one day of cleaning up the mess.
We have several family recipes that we always bake, including this one for homemade Toffee Bars. These delicious bars have a soft buttery base with a layer of chocolate-y goodness and crunchy almonds on top. It’s easy to pop a square or three in your mouth as you pass through the kitchen! Happy holiday baking!
Note: I definitely recommend using parchment paper, as it makes removing the toffee bars from the baking sheet so much easier.
Homemade Toffee Bars
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups butter
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 oz Hershey Bar
- 1 cup toasted slivered almonds coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toast coarsely chopped almonds in a single layer on a baking sheet for about 5 minutes, until golden brown. Set aside.
- Turn oven down to 325 degrees.
- Cream together sugar, brown sugar, and butter.
- Add 3/4 of the beaten eggs and mix together. Discard the remaining eggs.
- Add flour and vanilla and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour batter and spread evenly onto a well greased baking sheet or use parchment paper.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Melt chocolate and spread over baked bars while they are still warm.
- Sprinkle almonds over bars while chocolate is still warm.
- Cool and cut into squares.