By contributing writer Kristia
Crunchy roasted chickpeas are an addictive snack that won’t leave you feeling guilty. Chickpeas are high in protein and dietary fiber, yet low in calories and fat. They are also inexpensive, especially if you cook dried beans yourself.
The key to crunchy chickpeas is to dry them well before you add the oil and spices. If they are wet, they will steam in the oven instead of roast. This recipe can easily be altered to your taste, so experiment with your favorite spices. It can also be doubled.
Crunchy Roasted Chickpeas
- 1 15.5 ounce can chickpeas or garbanzo beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Dry well using paper towels. Discard any loose skins.
- Put chickpeas in a small bowl and coat them evenly with the olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the chickpeas into a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 45-50 minutes. Shake the pan several times throughout the baking. Towards the end of roasting, you want to check on the chickpeas often as they can burn quickly.
- Allow the chickpeas to cool in the pan after removing from the oven.
Find more delicious recipes at the The Happy Housewife Recipe Index.