Who doesn’t love chocolate and doughnuts? These Chocolate Cake Doughnuts are a perfect combination of the two well loved foods. They would be a great treat to make for your family.
Chocolate Cake Doughnuts
For the donuts
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 ½ tablespoons warm butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups oil for frying
- Chocolate shavings for garnishing
For the glaze
- 1 cups milk
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ cup melted chocolate
- Mix the flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder together. Whisk in the salt and sift.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the sugar, butter, and eggs on high speed for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add in the sour cream and water and continue mixing on medium speed until well blended and smooth.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix until fully incorporated.
- Cut a large piece of plastic wrap. Transfer the dough to the plastic wrap, cover, and refrigerate for one hour.
- Lightly dust a work surface with flour. Place the dough on the floured surface and roll it out ½ inch thick.
- Use a round 3-inch cookie cutter to cut the doughnuts and a ¼ inch cutter to make the holes. Place the doughnuts on a 16-inch cookie sheet. Cover and refrigerate for another 30 minutes.
- Pour oil into a deep fryer and heat to 360 degrees.
- Place 2 - 3 donuts at a time in the fryer and cook until both sides are golden brown.
- In a small pot, whisk together the milk, powdered sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Add in the melted chocolate. Heat.
- Dip the tops of the donuts inside the glaze and garnish with extra chocolate shavings.