With Cinco de Mayo less than a week away, it’s not too late to brush up on your tortilla making skills. If you don’t have any tortilla making skills, well you have come to the right place! Below you will find a tortilla tutorial. Say that one five times fast. Homemade tortillas are easy, and less expensive than the prepackaged. They taste amazing too!
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons of butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup of warm water
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and butter in a medium bowl.
- Gradually add water and mix until a smooth dough is formed. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour.
- Roll dough into one and one-half inch balls.
- Set on a plate or baking sheet and cover.
- Let rest for ten minutes.
- Flatten one ball at a time between two small plates and then roll into a six inch circle.
- The flatter you roll the dough the more it will resemble soft tacos, thicker dough is more like a gordita.
- Place the tortillas on a griddle and cook over a medium heat until the tortillas turn white, then flip and repeat.
- Ready to eat.
You can even make these for dessert. Just follow the recipe above and when the tortillas are right off the griddle, butter them and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Delish!
More Homemade Bread Recipes to Try:
- Homemade Bagels
- Homemade English Muffins
- Homemade Sweet Cornbread (Whole Wheat)
- Homemade Sweet Whole Wheat Bread
- Homemade Whole Wheat French Bread Rolls
- Homemade Yeast Cinnamon Rolls