The following is a post from contributing writer Andrea Green.
This Cranberry Cheese Ball is easy to make-ahead so you can have a quick appetizer when you need it. It does take a little extra time to make it look like a package, but the effect is well worth the effort.
If horseradish seems like a strange ingredient, don’t be afraid. The tang goes nicely with the sweet of the cranberry sauce. In fact, I could add more to satisfy my taste buds, but I tend to go easy so my girls love it too.
- 16 ounces shredded cheese
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 8 ounces can whole-berry cranberry sauce
- Garnishes: the green tops from green onions and an orange.
- Beat first 6 ingredients together on medium speed of an electric mixer.
- Line a square shaped dish with plastic wrap. Press cheese mixture into dish. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 12 hours or up to 2 days.
- Remove cheese ball from plastic wrap and dish.
- Stir the cranberry sauce then pour over the top.
- To garnish: Take the green tops of the onions and place in boiling water for 1 minute, or until soft. Press into sides of box to resemble ribbon. Tie some into a bow. Peel the orange with a peeler cut out shapes in the peel. Decorate top of box with orange peel and green bow.
Will you be entertaining this holiday season?