By contributing writer Tessa
We have been making this version of Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream for a couple of years now. While the green color is totally not necessary, we decided to get that fun hue naturally with plants! The spinach is never tasted and adds a nice mellow green hue. The batch never lasts long, and no one ever figures out there are healthy ingredients within!
Even though we do not have to be dairy free all the time now, we still love ice cream made with full fat coconut milk. It’s ultra creamy. Our favorite brand with no gums is Savoy Coconut Cream. We purchase it at our local Asian market for $2 per can. You are welcome to use dairy cream in place of the coconut milk.
- 2 cans full fat coconut milk
- 1 Haas avocado, flesh removed
- 1 large handful spinach (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract, to taste
- ½ cup mild honey
- 1 tablespoon gelatin, softened in 3 tablespoons water
- ½ - 1 cup chopped dark chocolate
- Add all ingredients except for the chocolate to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Taste and add more peppermint or sweetener if you like.
- Pour mixture into your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer's directions.
- When firm, stir the chocolate pieces in by hand.
- Serve immediately, or store in freezer for later.
- If frozen, leave on counter to soften for 20 minutes before serving.
The spinach is for green color and can not be tasted.
I use a few drops peppermint essential oil instead of peppermint extract.
The gelatin helps to keep the ice cream soft.
You might also like…
- Oven Fried Ice Cream on a Waffle
- Paleo Raspberry Ice Cream with Chocolate Sauce
- Ice Cream Sundae Cupcakes
- More recipes from Tessa