By contributing writer Beth
This quick and easy banana nut bread recipe is loaded with flavor and perfect for breakfast or an after school snack. Your kids will love this sweet treat! I like to serve it with a big mug of warm, spiced apple cider.
You know the best time to have banana bread? When there are soft, brown bananas hanging from your banana tree! I don’t know how we ever have leftover bananas since we eat so many, but it’s possible that my kids hide a few just so I’ll make this recipe.
Tip: If you ever have more brown bananas than you can use, just peel them and throw them in a freezer bag. They freeze beautifully and come out sweet and mushy – just like you need them for baking anyway!
This recipe whips together in around 10 minutes and then fills the whole house with its delicious aroma while baking. Even though this recipe is great any time of year, I particularly like it during the cooler months when I don’t mind turning on my oven.
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 2 medium bananas)
- ⅓ cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- PrehHeat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar and butter, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Whip about 1 minute until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition.
- Add bananas, yogurt, and vanilla. Blend well.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
- Add the dry mixture and pecans to the banana batter. Stir quickly just until dry ingredients are combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Since ovens vary, you might need to cook an additional 10 minutes to get the center cooked.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a rack for about 45 minutes or until completely cooled.
- Cut into squares and serve. Wrap any leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
You might also like…