by contributing writer Andrea Green
These Blueberry Lemon Oatmeal Bars are served as an after school snack at least once a month in my house. The Greek yogurt bakes up almost like a dense cheesecake topping over a sweet oatmeal crust. Since it is made with whole food ingredients, I can make it for my girls and feel no guilt over serving a sweet treat.
This recipe is a great example of how cooking with whole food ingredients doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice taste. If your pantry doesn’t include white whole wheat flour, can I please encourage you to pick up a small bag? It is lighter than whole wheat flour, so it is easier to substitute for all purpose flour in recipes without weighing a recipe down. Of course, if you don’t have white whole wheat flour and still want to make this recipe, all purpose flour works great.
I usually use frozen blueberries. It’s hard to find good blueberries where I live, so I just pick up a big frozen bag of organic blueberries at Costco. If you have access to good, fresh berries, they would be excellent in these bars.
By the way, while this recipe is more of a dessert cookie bar, if you look at the ingredients, it is not unlike a coffee cake. At least that is what I tell myself when I serve it for breakfast!
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/3 cup blueberries (frozen ok)
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Lightly grease an 11 x 7 inch baking pan.
- Combine flour, oats, 1/2 cup maple syrup, salt and baking soda in a bowl and whisk together.
- Drizzle butter and lemon juice over mixture and stir.
- Press crust into bottom of pan.
- Combine blueberries, Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup maple syrup, 2 tablespoons flour, vanilla, lemon rind, and egg white. Stir well.
- Spread on top of crust.
- Bake at 325 for 40 minute or until edges are golden. Cool on wire rack before serving.
- Store in refrigerator.
Find more delicious recipes at the The Happy Housewife Recipe Index.