By contributing writer Beth
The combination of mozzarella, fresh basil, and vine-ripened tomatoes is a perfect trio of flavors. This grilled Caprese sandwich takes that simple perfection and nestles it between two golden, buttery delicious slices of bread.
My husband says that the mayo is the best part of this sandwich. It adds a slight zing of flavor and helps marry all the other fresh flavors together into one ooey gooey bite of cheesy goodness.
This sandwich would go great with tomato basil soup or a tossed salad. It’s great for lunch or a light dinner.
Grilled Caprese Sandwich
This grilled cheese sandwich is a simple and delicious twist on the classic lunch.
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- 4 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 leaves fresh basil
- 2 slices mozzarella cheese
- Thinly slice the tomatoes and set aside.
- Spread mayonnaise on one side of each slice of bread. Spread butter on the other side of the bread.
- For each sandwich, arrange the tomatoes on one of the mayonnaise sides of the bread. Top with 4 leaves of basil and one slice of mozzarella.
- Finish with the next slice of bread, making sure the mayonnaise faces in and the butter faces out.
- Grill on a hot skillet for 3 minutes on each side.
- Serve hot.
Leave a Reply