by contributing writer Lana (like banana)
My kids and I were painting using oil pastels. We had art projects all over the kitchen and dining room tables. My husband walked in and said “Hey, I can make you an easel if that would help you.” He didn’t have to ask twice. So he taught me how to make an easel.
How to Make an Easel
- A 6 Foot 1” x 2” select pine wood
- Small Piece of 7/16 threaded rod (steel rod)
- 4 7/16 washers
- 2 7/16 cap nuts
- 2 small eye bolts/screws
- 1 piece of small chain or rope
- 1 piece of 14” x 14” board (We used 1/8” underlayment but any thin piece of board would work.)
- Hack Saw (for cutting the metal rod)
- Miter Saw (or the friendly people at your hardware might cut them for you.)
- 7/16 Drill Bit
- 2 all purpose screws
- 10 small finished nails
1. Cut the 6 Foot 1”x2” into 3 – 18” pieces and 1 – 14” piece.
These boards will be used for the tri-pod stand. On two of the 18″ pieces you want to cut angles to make them into a V shape. The middle tri-pod piece has the corners cut off. Look at the photo to understand more clearly.
2. Cut threaded rod to approximately 2 3/4″ – 3″
3. Drill a 7/16″ hole in all three 18″ pieces approximately 1″ from the top using your 7/16″ drill bit.
4. Attach 1 cap nut to the one end of the threaded rod then thread the washers in this order, one washer on, then one outer tri-pod leg, another washer, middle tri-pod leg, another washer, then the other outer tri-pod leg, last washer and the last cap nut.
5. Attach the 14″ board, spaced evenly across the two outer tri-pod leg boards approximately 3″ from the bottom to make a rim or pencil holder.
6. Attach the 14″x14″ flat board evenly to the two tri-pod. Secure the flat board with finished nails to the outer tri-pod boards.
7. Screw the 1 eye bolt into the middle tri-pod leg 3 inches from the bottom and the 2nd eyebolt into the back of the rim.
8. Attach chain onto both eye bolts.
What a fun project that any art student (or Mom) would love!
Don’t you love when a project gives birth to another project? That is our life.