I hesitated adding Harold and the Purple Crayon to our read aloud list, because I know more than one child who has had a purple crayon adventure on the walls.
However it is such a fun book I couldn’t resist adding to the list.
There are no limits for Harold and his imagination as he takes a walk with his purple crayon. As he goes along he sketches landmarks so he doesn’t get lost and even a boat when the water is too deep.
There are so many great activities for this book, but my favorite is to sketch out your own world using only your imagination and a crayon.
Give your child a purple crayon (or marker) and a roll of paper. Have them draw their adventures on the paper roll, telling you the story as they go. As they are drawing, type or write up their story, then print it out and make it into a book so they can tell their story over and over.
Activities for Harold and the Purple Crayon
- Go for a walk at night with a full moon.
- Make a path on the driveway with sidewalk chalk.
- Have a picnic
- Make a pie
- Purple crayon play-doh activity
- Sorting: purple not purple
- Make a giant purple crayon
- Write and draw your own purple crayon adventure stories