by contributing writer Tabitha
Before finding Spelling Power, we really didn’t do spelling. When the kids misspelled a word, we corrected it. Sometimes, in whatever English book we were using that year, there would be a spelling segment for each chapter. Occasionally spelling was combined with vocabulary.
Here is our Spelling Power book. It has been well used over the years. We also have the resource CD with all the forms needed (or practice and testing sheets) in PDF format. Even without the CD-Rom, you have everything you need in the book to begin a great spelling program with your students. There is a quick start guide, placement tests, and the 5000 most frequently used words arranged in groups.
As it says on the cover, “15 minutes a day and this book are all you need to teach ages 8 to adult comprehensive spelling skills.” From the day I got this book to now, each of my children 8 and up have used this program. One has even graduated, meaning he has placed above what this book is meant to teach.
What I love about Spelling Power
- Only 5 minutes of testing each day. This is not a time consuming program!
- They only have to practice what they miss each day.
- Words are grouped so students learn spelling rules.
- Practice makes sense and applies to most learning styles.
- Words are tested multiple times with review tests.
- Lots of room for creativity in the 5 minute activity portion or making up sentences in the 5 minute paper practice.
Cons of Spelling Power
- There is a temptation to go past 5 minutes. However, following the steps ensures that neither you, nor your child, gets burnt out by doing too many words. Even if it’s just 5 words, those 5 words are what you were able to do.
- There is a temptation to skip steps. Make sure your students are truly learning by doing all 3 parts of the daily activities, and things will sink in.
Having used this book (and resource disk) with five of my children, ranging in age from 8 to 16, and varying in skills from the very first level to the very highest, I can honestly say this program has done wonders for my kids’ spelling. Some of my children are naturally good spellers. My 8 year old placed in the same spelling level as my 9 year old and my 14 year old and higher than my 12 year old. However, I can see the improvement every day in EACH of them and how their spelling skill have come along way over the years.
I definitely recommend this spelling program for any family, especially those with multiple grade levels. While the price might seem like a lot for a spelling book (and extras), it is the only spelling program you will ever need.
I am in no way affiliated with Spelling Power, nor did I receive anything for this review. All opinions are my own.