by contributing writer Marci
August 19th is National Aviation Day. President Franklin Roosevelt established the holiday on aviation pioneer Orville Wright’s birthday in 1939 to commemorate our country’s aviation history and industry.
Celebrate National Aviation Day with These Fun Ideas
- For young learners, DLTK has some great National Aviation Day crafts and activities.
- Fly paper airplanes of different types. Discover which ones fly the farthest and straightest. Which ones can do the best air tricks? You can download some great paper airplane plans from FunPaperAirplanes.com.
- Visit an air or space museum.
- Make a kite. KitePlans.org has an amazing archive of kite plans for you to try.
- View this cartoon interactive that explains the concepts of aerodynamics.
- Visit an airport and watch the airplanes take off and land. Some smaller airports might even give tours or let you talk to a pilot.