The following is a post from contributing writer Stef.
Why as homeschool moms do we expect to perform like the Energizer Bunny? God calls us all to rest – even the homeschool mom!
Reasons We Do Not Rest
- Expectations to be perfect
- Shackled to the schedule
- Fear of becoming an unschooler
- Other people’s opinions/inability to say no
Can I reassure you that we are only hurting ourselves when we do not rest?
Mom, you are not getting any extra credit points for working yourself dog tired. Your children do not benefit if their teacher is exhausted, unexcited, or worn down. You would not expect that from a public/private school educator yet we do it to ourselves so easily.
Ideas to Enjoy Rest
- Set a good bedtime for everyone (yes, you young lady).
- Turn school off when it’s “down time” (that includes pinterest ideas, next year’s science fair admission, etc.).
- Keep your schedule healthy and free from exploding (it’s ok to say no).
- Schedule “appointments” for unexpected projects (don’t do them right this instant right now).
- Plan a free afternoon (field trip, movie day, science experiments, etc.).
Rest is good – enjoy it!
Leave a Reply