By contributing writer Marci
My daughter is always creating something out of nothing. She enjoys the challenge of taking unrelated items and turning them into something new. I keep a drawer of recycled items for just that purpose.
She looked bored the other day, so I threw her some can lids. Within no time, she was gathering supplies and making this easy Christmas craft.
Easy Christmas Can Lid Craft
- Clean can lids without sharp edges (like frozen juice can lids)
- Pretty Christmas-themed paper
- Scissors or circle cutter
- Mod Podge
- Decorations (sequins, etc.)
- Hot glue and ribbon, or magnet
1. Cut circles out of the paper just smaller than the diameter of the lid.
2. On the backside of the paper, spread a thin layer of modge-podge.
3. Stick the paper to the lid. Let this dry for 20 minutes, or until the paper feels dry.
Here comes the part where you can be really creative.
4. Glue sequins, jewels or other findings you want to use onto the lid with the paper using the Mod Podge. Try grouping and layering. Be creative! Let this dry overnight.
5. Spread a layer of Mod Podge over the entire lid. Let this dry for an hour or two, or more if you get carried away with the Mod Podge like my daughter did!
6. Now, you can hot glue a loop of ribbon to the back to create an ornament or put a magnet on the back.
Try this with various papers and findings. See what your kids come up with. They might have some great ideas for making this project their own. Have fun!