Now that my husband has retired from the military and we no longer live near a commissary I’ve had to relearn some of my frugal grocery shopping habits. While I love the easy savings of shopping at the commissary, you can save almost anywhere you live.
Years ago I mistakenly believed that saving on groceries is a full time job. While it is for some of those extreme couponers, regular shoppers like us can also save a significant amount of money every week but doing a few simple things.
You don’t even NEED coupons (although they can help!)
So, whether you are a military family who depends on the commissary for cheap groceries or you just need a grocery budget/plan overhaul, take a look at all these different ways to save on meals and groceries for your family!
Saving Money at the Grocery Store
- Download the free Ibotta app and get paid to grocery shop
- Create a Price Book to Save on Groceries
- 8 Ways to Save Money on Your Food Budget
- 7 Tips & Tricks to Save 30-50% at the Grocery Store without Coupons
- How to Save Money on Produce
Cook at Home (Don’t Eat Out and Don’t Buy Convenience Foods)
- Cook from Scratch to Save Money
- Start a Bulk Baking Day
- Have Freezer Meals ready: 5 Easy Freezer Meals
- Start a habit of not eating out with these Simple Ways to Eat at Home
Always Have a Menu Plan
- My personal story of How I Cut My Grocery Bill in Half with Menu Planning
- 3 Ways Menu Planning Saves Money
- 5 Simple Ways to Meal Plan
- Get started on Menu Planning with these ideas for 30 Days of Meals
Additional Ideas to Save on Your Grocery Budget
- Tips on Eating Organic without breaking your budget
- Save Dollars at Dinner by stretching your meat and/or going meatless once or twice a week
And, if you haven’t read my story, then definitely check out my personal tips on how I stay under $600/month for groceries. Keep in mind that this was from 2008, so grocery prices are higher, my kids are older/bigger, and we have 7 kids now. So, my budget looks more like $800/month for all 9 of us (for groceries, toiletries, household products, pet food…everything included)!