The following is a guest post from Shelly.
I hear a lot of people say that there just aren’t coupons for the items they buy. While that may be true, there are still other ways you can save at the grocery store. Use these tips and tricks to save from 30-50% at the grocery store without coupons!
1. Store sales cycles repeat about every 12 weeks. This means that the items you buy at the grocery should go on sale at least once every 3 months. Some items go on sale less often and some more often, so start watching the sales.
2. Make a list of the items you buy most, and start watching the sales flyers for those items. Remember, just because it is on sale, doesn’t mean it is a great price. Keep a price book, if you have trouble tracking what is a good price.
3. Buy enough of a really good sale item to last you until the next sales cycle. If you use 1 box of cereal per week, buy several the next time you see them on sale. That way, you don’t have to pay full price for them.
4. Watch for Buy One, Get One Free Sales. Many stores offer these sales, even on organic and healthy items. If you snag BOGO items, you have already saved 50%.
5. Buy produce in season (and freeze it if you can). There was a recent sale at Whole Foods for $1.99 organic blueberries. That is a great price for organic fruit. I would buy one to use right away and one or two to freeze for later.
6. Watch for clearance and mark down items! Many stores mark down meats, produce, and milk that is about to expire, as well as other items.
7. Don’t shop hungry.No matter what shopping hungry leads to spending more money. If necessary, eat a little snack before you shop. You will put less in your cart and find it easier to stick to a shopping list!
What strategies do you use to save money with or without coupons?