The following post is from contributing writer Kristen.
Feather pens remind me of history and Harry Potter. If you have a child who likes either of those things, then making a feather pen, with a real feather can be a very special project. This project will hold an older child’s interest. My feather pen writes like a modern pen so you won’t have the mess of using ink.
- 1 Feather
- 1 ballpoint pen
- Dish soap
1. Find a real feather. I had my turkey feather given to me by a friend. Go outside and try to find a real feather. You could also purchase one online.
2. Wash your feather. It is important to wash your feather before using it. Especially if you found it outside. It is also important to be very gentle with your feather. I lightly washed my feather in dish soap and water.
3. Let your feather dry. Let your feather air dry. If you try to use a hair dryer your feather might poof.
4. Using scissors clip the end of your feather just enough so the ink cartridge of a ball point pen can fit in.
5. Take apart your ball point pen. You will want the ink cartridge. Discard the rest of the pen.
6. Insert the ink cartridge into the feather. Glue it if necessary. Mine fit in securely without any glue.
This was a really fun craft to make! I have this pen in my pen jar in my kitchen, and I have received many compliments on it. This would be a great project during a history lesson or just for fun!