by contributing writer Kristen
Puzzle cards are a fun craft for kids to make and the recipient gets to have fun by putting their puzzle card together! The blank puzzles that are available in craft stores are overpriced and usually only contain a few puzzle pieces. I created a homemade puzzle card using a wooden puzzle from the dollar. The result was a high quality puzzle card that contained my desired amount of puzzle pieces.
How to Make a Puzzle Card
- 1 puzzle
- White matte spray paint
- Sharpies, acrylic paint, and other items you may want to use to decorate your puzzle card.
1. Obtain a puzzle. I was able to purchase a wooden puzzle for $1 from the dollar store. I found that the dollar store had a variety of different sized puzzles. You can also reuse one you have.
2. Spray paint your puzzle. Outside, I spray painted my puzzle white. It took 2 coats for the puzzle to turn completely white.
3. Let the puzzle dry. Let your puzzle dry overnight. It is very important that your puzzle is completely dry before decorating it.
4. Decorate your puzzle. I decorated my puzzle card using colored Sharpies. Acrylic paint would also work well when decorating these puzzles.
5. Make sure you have some color on every puzzle piece. Since your recipient does not have a photo to look at when putting their puzzle together, make sure that each puzzle piece has some color on it. If you are using a puzzle with a large amount of pieces, then you may want to consider numbering your puzzle pieces.
6. Take apart your puzzle and place it in an envelope. I placed my puzzle in a manila envelope. I made this puzzle card for my son to send to my brother for his birthday.
A homemade puzzle card is easy to make! You can get as elaborate and creative as you want. This is such a fun craft to make and it feels really good to give special thing like this to friends and family.