The following post is from contributing writer Kristen.
Creating a DIY card station is a great way to keep all your greeting cards and envelopes organized. Its also a great way to save time and money. Because you will have a go-to spot for all your greeting cards, you will no longer have to run to the store for a last minute greeting card ever again!
When you make your greeting card station, you can fill it with a variety of homemade greeting cards, along with cards you already have. When you see a sale on greeting cards, you can buy them and add them to your greeting card station.
How to Make a DIY Card Station
- Some sort of container. Any decorative box, basket, small storage bin, or a shoe box will work.
- Card Stock
- Craft supplies. Markers, crayons and other card decorating items.
- Any store bought greeting cards you happen to have.
1. Using card stock and craft supplies, make greeting cards. This can be a fun activity to do with your kids on a rainy day. Try to brainstorm with your family about the type of greeting cards you will need. If your kids attend many birthday parties, make a variety of boy and girl birthday cards. You will also want to include thank you notes, wedding cards, get well cards, shower cards and other greetings that are relevant to your family.
Get creative with your greeting cards! Use scrapbooking supplies, and even look up greeting card quotes online to make these special!
2. Locate unused greetings cards and envelopes you already have. If you already have a collection of blank greeting cards, thank you cards or an excess of leftover envelopes from other occasions, round them up and put them in your greeting card station. Often we have leftover envelopes from birth announcements and Christmas cards that can be used. If you don’t have any envelopes, you can purchase a package of them or make some.
3. Include nice pens. Find or purchase a few nice pens to keep in your greeting card station. This way, you will always be able to write a note in your greeting card, even when you are in a hurry.
4. Place everything in a container. Place all your greeting cards, envelopes and pens into a nice container. This container can be a decorated shoe box, a basket, or a plastic container with a lid. You will want to make sure you store it in a place where your greeting cards will stay in good shape. Also, you will want to keep your greeting card station within easy access.
5. Refill your greeting cards as needed. If your greeting card inventory is getting low, make some more cards!
Giving a greeting card is a special way to show someone you care and people love receiving homemade cards, especially cards that are made by kids. Making a DIY card station is a great activity for the entire family, it helps your children think about doing things for others. Keeping all your cards and envelopes in one place helps you stay organized. Also, giving a DIY craft station to a grandparent or aunt or uncle can be a special homemade gift.