This is hard work y’all. I don’t think I’ve been this tired since I had three kids three and under. I have a whole new respect for folks who do this for a living. So.much.work.
Today we continued removing wallpaper, demoing the kitchen, and started on the half bath. We also started planning kitchen lighting and figuring out what to do with the extra water lines and electric in the bar area.
Actually we have to figure out what we are doing in the bar area too. We like to enter the house from the garage and the bar is right at the entry point. I’m thinking about eventually making it a message center, but for now we are just going to cap the water and electric while we work on more important projects.
The pass thru is probably going to stay for now. The other side of the wall is brick, so if we wall it up we would need to match the brick which would be a huge pain. Any suggestions on what to do with that area are welcome!
The previous owners came over tonight to show us the where things were in the house, yard. They are such a nice couple and I’m sure it was strange for them to walk into their house, which only five days ago was a perfectly normal structure and now is completely torn apart.
I didn’t get as many pictures today because we didn’t have any fully finished projects and much of the day was spent cleaning up the mess from the tack strips and drywall demo. And of course, more wallpaper removal.
This is the half bath which is off the kitchen. It is the only bathroom that is getting a complete remodel right now. We will redo the other bathrooms in the future, but since this one will be used by everyone and if off the main part of the house we decided to redo it now.
We will be replacing the toilet, vanity, floor, and lighting as well as removing the wallpaper. The ceiling of this bathroom is also wallpapered. It actually looks pretty cool, but not my style so it will probably go.
We are redoing the lighting in the kitchen and getting taller cabinets so the soffit had to go. My 14 yo worked on demoing this today, hopefully we can get it completely torn out by tomorrow.
I spent more time removing wallpaper in the master bedroom. This is the room with the double wallpaper. I tried the vinegar and water trick to remove the wallpaper glue and it worked. It is a long process and we are still debating doing a light sanding to remove it.
I’m not sure which technique we’ll end up doing, although it might be some of both.
The girls and I picked up paint samples for their rooms. I’m not sure about the colors for the little girls, we put some on the walls tonight, it will be interesting to see what it looks like in the daytime.
Tomorrow we have folks coming to help. There is still so much to do and it seems like the days are flying by.
We only had one injury, one broken pipe, and one leaky fitting so today feels like a success!
I won’t be updating tomorrow night so look for a weekend update on Sunday!
This is part of our ongoing renovation project for our new home in Florida. Our goal is to be done by Thanksgiving or else. Follow the daily accounts of our real life during this DIY renovation process here.