I love taking photos of my kids. In fact, if you asked me what my hobby was, I would probably say kid’s photos.
Most of the walls in my home are decorated with photos of my children over the years. Summer is my favorite time of year to take photos of my kids because there are so many opportunities for great pictures.
Need photo tips? Here are my five favorite tips for taking great photos of your kids.
While my children typically provide an endless supply of photo ideas, sometimes I need a little inspiration. Especially if I’m working on a gallery wall or other photo project for my home.
Most of these pictures are things that can and should happen during the natural course of the day in summer, and I intend some to be used as a sort of summer photo “bucket list” of things to do this summer.
I hope these kid’s photo ideas spur you on to enjoy summer experiences with your kids and to preserve them with photographs.
Here are 50 ideas of simple but memorable pictures to take of your kids this summer. Use it as a springboard to come up with your own photos as well.
50 Kid’s Photos to Take this Summer
- Dirty feet – Little, bare, dirty, sweet feet.
- Eating watermelon, the drippier the better.
- Footprints in the beach sand.
- Picking wildflowers in a field – classic.
- Lounging in a hammock reading.
- Riding bikes in the neighborhood.
- Asleep after a day of hard playing.
- Jumping in puddles after a summer rainstorm.
- Little flip flop feet in the grass.
- Having a backyard finger food picnic.
- Hands holding a water balloon.
- Mid cannonball, belly flop, or Nestea plunge.
- Playing tag in the backyard.
- Eating a melting ice cream cone.
- Inspecting or holding a bug.
- Twirling sparklers in the night.
- Eating messy gooey s’mores.
- Fishing – feet dangling, dirty hands, tiny fish.
- Cannonballing into the pool.
- Feeding ducks at a local pond.
- Blowing bubbles with a sibling.
- Faces glowing in the light of a bonfire.
- Running through a sprinkler.
- Flying down a slide with wild abandon.
- Giggling with a friend.
- Asleep in the backseat on a road trip.
- Picking berries at a local farm.
- Lounging in the pool on a raft.
- Pulling weeds in the garden.
- On the beach with the sunset as their backdrop.
- Holding a mini American flag at a parade.
- Lying in the grass.
- Wishing and blowing on dandelion fluff.
- New summer clothes.
- Freckles brought on by summer sunshine.
- Nibbling popcorn on movie night.
- Faces peeking out of the camping tent.
- Playing with the family pet.
- Riding a ride at a carnival or fair.
- Don’t forget to let them take a summer selfie!
- Catching tadpoles or lightning bugs.
- Holding a butterfly on their little finger.
- Washing the family car.
- Searching the shelves in the library.
- Climbing a tree.
- Holding the first giant hamburger of bbq season.
- Siblings holding hands.
- Sleeping in bed head.
- Sipping pink lemonade.
- Your littles with YOU.
Make it a goal this summer to shoot these pics and more. Remember, you only get so many summers, mom. Make this a great one and record it for the memories!