Free Tax Return for Military from H&R Block

Beginning January 18th a link to the H&R Block At Home® tax service will be available on the Military One Source website. Click through the Military One Source link and create a customized H&R Block account that gives you FREE online tax filing (formerly TaxCut), plus tax consultations by phone.

This offer is available to service members and their spouses.

Shares 0

This post may contain a link to an affiliate. See my disclosure policy for more information.


  1. Thanks for the info. My husband and I were hoping not to have to pay to have our taxes done this year.

  2. Awesome! Thanks for sharing this, we will definitely take advantage of this 🙂 I really appreciate you sharing!


  3. Did not know this! My husband usually goes on base, but they basically just point you to a computer and leave you on your own to do it anyway. But he’s deployed, and I was just going to wait until he got back (and take advantage of the extension for deployed military) to file… Maybe I’ll try it without him? Now, how do I get ahold of his W-2. Hmmm…

    • TheHappyHousewife says:

      It is pretty easy, I would recommend it for anyone who doesn’t have complicated tax issues. They program will also help you find hidden deductions. It works for us.

    • I believe they put all of the w-2s online a few years ago. At least they did for the FLARNG. In our case, my dh was already separated from the FLARNG, so he didn’t have access to his military account.

      I just asked DH…you should contact DFAS about the w-2.

    • you would have to go to my pay and it will be available on the 26th

    • You can get his W-2 form off of the mypay web site. He can give you permission to view his LES statements and get your W-2 from that site.

  4. We’ve used this service for 2007 & 2008 taxes and had no problems whatsoever. So glad it is free again this year. I love OneSource.

  5. We have used the site for the last few years and look forward to doing it again. Its really easy to use and when I get stuck I give MOS a call and they are so helpful.

  6. Many people (civilian & military) also qualify to have VITA do their taxes. This is the IRS Volunteer Tax Prep program. I was tax prep volunteer in 2008 in this program. Our particular group never turned anyone away regardless of income level (and I saw it ALL! that year). Our supervisors were retired tax professionals. In fact, the man I worked under received an award from President Bush in 2008 for his 50 YRS! of volunteer service. These people were dedicated to providing quality free tax service. The volunteers have solid training, testing, & supervision. For more info: —>,,id=107626,00.html

    Also, AARP does free tax prep. They may have age restrictions (only for 55 & older). They did in 2008 & that’s why my VITA supervisors left AARP’s program. They believed in helping anyone and everyone, not just a select few.

  7. I have used this service for the past 3 years and love it! So much money saved!

    I love how it saves your info so the 2nd time you use it a lot of the filling out is already done.

    The step by step process is user friendly and if you still need help you can call the 1-800 number for free help!

    There are usually military volunteers on our base that set up a temporary office and will do them for free as well.

Speak Your Mind