The following is a post from contributing writer Stef.
Winter is a fun time of year…if you live in the north. Unfortunately, we live in the south and only get to see snow if we leave town and head a good ways north. For homeschool boys who have all day to play in the snow, but it never snows, it’s not much fun to call it winter.
If you live in the south like us, or in a tropical region, you can make winter happen with just a little imagination.
- Decorate a room with snowflakes (you’ve seen Elf, hang it up at night).
- Serve up hot chocolate with marshmallows.
- Take the kids to an indoor ice skating rink.
- Take a trip to an indoor inflatable bouncy house with slides (call it sleigh riding).
- Have a “snowball fight” with socks.
- Make a snowman with pillows or paint a snowman.
- Serve up slushies (just don’t eat the yellow ones).
- Watch a documentary on the polar regions.
- Make an arctic animals collage.
- Take a field trip to the zoo to see the penguins.
- Study winter landscapes and try to paint them.
You can make winter happen wherever you live! What do you do to make winter fun?