The following is a post from contributing writer Stef.
I am a public school graduate. I remember the many “first day of school” photos with my new backpack full of fresh supplies and clean (yet to be dented) lunch boxes.
Homeschool students do not have to miss out on the back to school excitement. They can experience it in a different way.
Tips for Making Back to School Fun
1. Special Breakfast – I pick up a few gooey frosted donuts and chocolate milk for special morning as we discuss the new school year, curriculum, rules, and expectations.
2. New Supplies – Both boys receive a little brown lunch bag full of new markers, colored pencils, paints, stickers, etc.
3. Decorations – Hang a few balloons and later have a balloon popping contest.
4. Banner or Sign – Go crazy with washable paint and write “1st Day of School” on your tile, or create a banner.
5. Have Fun – We have been known to pile into the car for a trip to the library and on the way drive past a school and honk the horn (once or twice). Or we may or may not have stood in the front yard and waved at the school bus.
Advice for Mom
Be excited. It may just be another day for you, but you set the tone. Homeschooling is a privilege not a chore. Get creative! Do something different. A few ideas for the first day of school include:
- Go on a field trip
- Wear something silly
- Give stickers or other rewards
- Play music
- Pray for the year together
- Set goals
- Order pizza for lunch (or cook a frozen one).
- Most importantly… smile !
How do you celebrate the 1st day of homeschool ?