The following is a post from contributing writer Stef.
It’s almost time to celebrate Advent, are you ready?
The first few years as a new family I did not celebrate a Santa Christmas, but I also did not celebrate Advent. I knew there were so many beautiful details to the story of Christ’s birth, so one year I decided to learn them along with my children!
You do not have to be a Bible study teacher to celebrate Advent. (You also do not have to be a homeschooler!) Last year my boys and I enjoyed working through Truth in the Tinsel. It is a beautiful adventure for little hands (and maybe a few big hands who love crafts).
This year we will continue using the eBook, but using the new pre-made ornaments. I am hoping to focus more on God’s Word and less on my high expectation of perfect tree ornaments. Because it’s hard to explain God’s grace and mercy when I may or may not have freaked out over sloppy craft mistakes.
Start Preparing for Advent Now
- Plan ahead for time you’ll need to dedicate to Advent teaching (15-30 minutes each day).
- Clean up and replenish craft supplies.
- Spend time in prayer. Ask God to make Himself known to your children.
- Buy or print any schedules, programs, or curriculum you will be using.
- Talk to your children about what you’ll be doing and why before you start day one.
If you’re celebrating Advent, what will you be doing?