Here are some of our favorites.
- Corduroy by Don Freeman
- Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey
- Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey
- Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel by Virginia Lee Burton
- The Little House by Virginia Lee Burton
- Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina
- Story of Ferdinand by Munro Leaf
- The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats
- It Looked Like Spilt Milk by Charles G. Shaw
- Billy and Blaze by C.W. Anderson
- A Tree is Nice by Janice May Udry
- Frog and Toad by Arnold Lobel
- Little Bear by Elsa Holmelund Minarik
- Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
- Big Dog Little Dog by P.D. Eastman
- Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans
- Bread and Jam Francis by Russell Hoban
- A New Coat for Anna by Harriet Ziefert
- Amelia Bedelia by Peggy Parish
- If You Give a Moose a Muffin by Laura Numeroff
Tall Stacker Pegs Building Set I love these pegs! We use them for color recognition, patterns, and coordination. My boys also love to use them as swords.
Shape and Color Sorter Set This is another favorite in our house. My kids like to sort by color, shape, and also make patterns.
Teddy Bear Counters There are many varieties of these counters, but they last forever. My current preschooler loves to play house with the bears.
Giant Pegboard Another great toy for patterns, sorting, motor skills, and color and shape recognition.
Playful Patterns My older kids still love these pattern blocks. They have made intricate designs and then traced them on paper for art.
Jumbo Magneatos I like this version because they are harder to swallow.
Melissa & Doug Deluxe 24-Piece Princess Elise Magnetic Dress-Up This isn’t terribly educational, but my little girls love playing with this and it does keep them occupied.
International Playthings Imaginetics Thomas at the Railyard This is a great toy to take on the road since it is magnetic.
Melissa & Doug Farm Cube Puzzle This puzzle has been a favorite at our house for years. I think this toy is a great bargain because each side of the block has a different puzzle on it.
FeltTales Busy Day on the Farm Storyboard We don’t have this particular felt board, but I love felt boards in general. This is another toy that has been a favorite with all my kids throughout the years.
Disney Princess Stamper stationery (12 pcs assorted stampers set) I love, love, love these stamp sets, because there is no ink pad! My little kids can stamp just like their older siblings.
Gears This is another great toy that will keep your little ones as well as your bigger kids occupied for a while. We have the Discovery Toys version of this, but I couldn’t find a picture.
Since summer time is yard sale season keep your eyes open for these toys. I have purchased many of my preschool toys at yard sales over the years for less than a few dollars. The books I listed above are all very popular and should be available at your local library.
What are your favorite preschool toys and books?
Lacing and Tracing I put off buying lacing toys for many years and that was a big mistake. It is great for hand eye coordination as well as fine motor skills.
Previous Got Preschoolers? Posts