The following post is from contributing writer Kristen.
Parchment paper is a wonderful item to keep around. Line any baking dish or cookie sheet with parchment paper, and your clean up will be a easy and fast! Did you know that there are several other reasons to keep parchment paper handy?
10 Uses for Parchment Paper
1) Make a cupcake or muffin holder. Making Cupcakes and forgot to pick up cupcake holders? Use Parchment paper! Its easy!
- Cut appropriate cupcake holder sized squares with parchment paper
- Cut a small slit in each corner of your square.
- Place the parchment paper square into a muffin tin.
2) Make a placemat. Using disposable placemats are a great idea if you are having a group of kids over for a meal. To make a parchment paper placemat, simply cut your parchment paper to your desired placemat size and continue to set the table!
3) Wrap a present. If you are out of wrapping paper but need to wrap a gift. Wrap your gift in parchment paper! Usually parchment paper comes in white or paper bag brown. Both of these colors are a nice neutral color for almost any occasion. Almost any kind of ribbon will match parchment paper.
- Cut parchment paper into a large triangle
- Fold your triangle into a cone
- Secure with tape
5) Make a Luminary. If your family makes luminaries for the holidays, you can easily make yours with parchment paper. Simply wrap parchment paper around a glass container and add a tea light. You can also just wrap parchment paper around a candle that comes in a glass jar.
6) Make a cooking pouch . Cooking food in a parchment paper cooking pouch can be a tasty cooking technique.
- On a piece of parchment paper, place meat and or vegetables
- Add your favorite flavors
- Roll up the parchment paper into a pouch, air tight
- Bake. All the flavors will steam together and create an amazing meal.
7) Wrap your cheese. In order to preserve flavor in high quality cheeses, wrap your cheese in parchment paper before wrapping it in plastic. When you wrap cheese in just plastic, the cheese might loose some of its flavor.
8) Cover your dishes in the microwave. When using the microwave, cover your dish with parchment paper. This is a great way to keep your microwave clean. Many microwavable dishes don’t come with lids. You can just tear a piece of parchment paper to the desired size.
9) Let your kids color on it with crayons. Parchment paper is perfect for kids to color on. If you are looking for a quick activity, roll some parchment paper out on your table, and let your kids color on it with crayons.
10) Use it as a meat divider. If you buy your meat in bulk for freezing. Parchment paper can be used to help store the meat in the freezer. It can help divide burger patties and other kinds of meats without all of it sticking together. Buying meat in bulk and storing it properly can help you save money!