It never occurred to me when I started blogging to have goals. I started my blog as a way to share all the ideas, tips, and recipes I had learned over the years from friends and family to anyone who might possibly be interested. Two years later, I realize that I need to prioritize my blog, just like I prioritize my life. My computer time is limited and I need to focus on getting things done during this time. There are so many distractions that it is easy to get online and spend fifteen minutes accomplishing nothing! This year’s theme for my blogging: Finding a Balance.
- Create a blogging schedule. As I mentioned above, blogging can take over your life, with Twitter, Facebook, Skype, email, gmail, and who knows what else, I need to set a computer schedule and stick to it!
- Prioritize what I blog about. I am a bit surprised that after 2 years I haven’t run out of things to say. The problem lies in discerning what will serve you, my readers. I don’t want to post things that will not benefit you or at least make you laugh at me. Even if it means less posts, I prefer quality over quantity.
- Take 24 hour computer breaks. Shut off the computer for a 24 hour period each week. Since I do everything on the computer, from banking to blogging, this will be hard. But I always feel better when I am able to unplug for awhile.
- No computer until school time is finished. I have a habit of checking my email during breakfast, or hopping on during lunch and inevitably there is a crisis, that must be solved right this minute! Or at least that is how it seems. I need to accept the fact that the world will not end if am not available to everyone in cyberspace 24 hours a day.
- Improve interaction between myself and my readers. I installed this nifty little plug-in that allows people to respond to comments. It is a great way to encourage conversation between everyone, including me! In 2010, I want to do a better job of answering all those questions in the comment section.
- Catch up on my email. I currently have 2717 unread messages in my inbox. If you have emailed me lately, I am sorry for not responding. I hope to clear out my inbox this month and do a better job of staying on top of things.
- Organize my recipes. Do you know how many recipes I have on this site? Neither do I. Many of them are buried in posts about things that have nothing to do with food. My goal this year is to make my recipes easy to find.
- Collaborate with other bloggers on projects. It has always been my belief that there is strength in numbers and working with other bloggers on different projects brings a fresh perspective and a variety of readers. I have a few projects up my sleeve already that I can’t wait to share with you.
- Newsletter and Radio Show. I am super excited to have teamed up with two of my favorite bloggers, look for more information in a few weeks.
- Grow my BlogFrog Community. I love my little community, it has been really fun over the past few months to interact more with readers. I hope this form of reader interaction continues to grow in 2010.
- A Picture in Every Post: I love posts with pictures. This year I plan to have an image in every post.
- More DIY posts: I love DIY projects and committing to blog about it might motivate me to get more of my half finished projects done around here.
- More Video Tutorials: These seem to be very popular and even though I hate watching myself on video, many people (including me) learn by watching others.
- More sewing/ craft tutorials: I am a crafter at heart, but got way off track this year with Cora. I like easy projects that even a person with little or no sewing experience can make and I hope to share those projects with you.
You can read more blogging goals and link up your own on the Savvy Blogging 2010 Blogging Goals link-up.