Wondering what to make for dinner? Check out my family’s favorite crock pot recipes for great dinner ideas!
This delicious soup is healthy, cheap and filling on a cold winter’s day!
I cooked mine with the ham bone that still had some meat on it. By the time the soup was done most of the meat had come off the bone. I cut the rest off and left it in the soup. I used the soup flavoring packet, but if you don’t want to use it, you could add garlic, salt and pepper. This made a ton of soup, we had it for lunch and then again for another lunch. It tastes better the longer it sits!
- 1 bag dried navy bean soup mix (or just the beans)
- 1-2 cups chopped ham or ham bone (I used our leftover Christmas ham)
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- ¾ cup onion chopped
- 2 cups carrots sliced (I used frozen carrots)
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups skim milk
- Spices to taste
- Soak beans overnight in a bowl of water. The next morning drain the water and place beans in the crock pot.
- Add the rest of the ingredients including the soup pack that came with the beans.
- Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Serve with crusty bread or crackers.
Cost break down
- Beans $1.97 (that seemed really expensive to me)
- Ham (no cost, since it was a leftover)
- Celery $.25
- Onion $.30
- Carrots $.50
- Milk $.25
Soup $3. 27
Homemade Bread $1
Total for at least 8- 10 large servings… $4.27.