The following is a post from contributing writer Kimberlee.
Need an easy but impressive recipe for a family breakfast or Sunday brunch? Try this delicious Monte Cristo Sandwich.
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 8 thick slices Italian bread or other thick sliced white bread
- 3 tablespoons grape jelly
- 4 thin slices deli ham
- 4 thin slices Swiss Cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Combine beaten eggs and milk in a large bowl, mixing well.
- For each sandwich, spread a thin layer of grape jelly on one slice of bread.
- Top bread with 1 slice ham and 1 slice cheese.
- Add second slice of bread to top of sandwich and cut in half.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in the skillet, turning the pan to coat the surface entirely.
- Dip each sandwich half quickly into the egg mixture and place it in the heated skillet.
- Cook for about 1 minute or until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Flip sandwich over to brown second side.
- Continue with remaining sandwiches.
- Serve immediately.
These would be great with a fresh fruit salad!
Find more delicious meal ideas at the The Happy Housewife Recipe Index.