The following is a post from Kimberlee.
Need an easy dinner meal? Try this delicious Mexi-Cali Cornbread Casserole! It’s so good that my teenage son even said,”Mmm, Mom, this is good.”
- 1.5 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 ounce can diced green chilis
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 boxes Jiffy cornbread mix (or equivalent homemade mix)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk (or 2/3 cups milk + 1/3 cup water)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup + 1/3 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onions in olive oil until almost translucent.
- Add ground beef, stirring and cooking until well browned.
- Add tomatoes, chilis, garlic salt and chili powder and stir to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs and milk.
- Add Jiffy cornbread mix.
- Stir to combine.
- Add corn kernels and 1 cup shredded cheese.
- Stir well to incorporate all ingredients.
- Spoon ground beef mixture into an 11x17 inch glass baking dish.
- Dollop cornbread mixture on top and spread to cover.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup cheese on top and bake for another 10 minutes or until cornbread is cooked and cheese is lightly browned.
- Serve immediately.
You can find more delicious meal ideas at the The Happy Housewife Recipe Index.