By contributing writer Kristia
If you’re looking for a side dish for your Thanksgiving Day menu, give this Maple Pecan Sweet Potato Casserole a try. The combination of maple, pecans and sweet potatoes is tasty and delicious and makes you think you are eating dessert for dinner. The recipe is easy to prepare, so you can be with your family on Thanksgiving instead of spending all of your time in the kitchen.
- 2 ½ -3 pounds sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup 2% milk
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch salt
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place sweet potatoes in a pan and cover with water. Place lid on pan and bring water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook potatoes until cooked through, about 15 minutes. Drain and return potatoes to pan.
- Add the butter, milk, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla and mash the sweet potatoes using a potato masher.
- Spoon the sweet potatoes into a 11 x 7 inch pan that is coated with butter or non-stick spray.
- Sprinkle the pecans on top of the sweet potatoes.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.
More Sweet Potato Recipes