I grew up on homemade granola. I had no idea that you could even buy it at the store until I was an adult.
Then I saw how much granola cost and realized that homemade granola tastes better, is healthier (less sugar!), and is much cheaper!
You can make this recipe gluten free by taking out the wheat germ and using gluten free oats.
- 3 cups dry oatmeal
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup wheat germ
- ½ shredded coconut (optional)
- First melt the butter in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the honey and salt and briefly heat with the butter.
- Turn off the heat and add the oatmeal, coconut, and wheat germ.
- Pour the mixture onto a cookie sheet.
- Spread the mixture out evenly and bake it at 375° for 10 minutes. It will be a golden brown color.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Store in an airtight container.
This recipe is so easy, it only takes about 5 minutes on the stove top and then another 10-15 in the oven.
Homemade granola makes a great homemade gift, package it in glass jars and tie a pretty ribbon on around the top. If you’re feeling generous attach a copy of the recipe too! Your friends and family will thank you for it!
More easy breakfast ideas: