Homemade doughnuts are easy to make and much cheaper than buying them at the store. A fresh homemade doughnut is delicious and your kids can help decide how to frost them; sprinkles, powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar, or chocolate frosted (my favorite).
This recipe for cake donuts can be made from start to finish in about 30 minutes. Perfect for a special breakfast!
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 quart oil for frying
- optional - powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar mixture
- Mix together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- Add butter.
- Then mix in egg and milk. I had my mixer on low for 3 to 4 minutes. I stopped when the dough looked like this… oh, this is why I love having a laptop. Most of my recipes are on the computer. I just unplug it and take it into the kitchen to cook!
- While you are mixing, start heating your oil to 375 degrees.
- Roll out on a floured surface until your dough is about 1/4 inch thick.
- Then use a doughnut cutter, or if you don't have a doughnut cutter you can use a pub style glass and a baby food jar to make the doughnut shape.
- Prepare an area for your doughnuts to cool. Because of the oil, I used paper shopping bags with paper towels on top. This made clean up very easy.
- Drop the doughnuts into the hot oil.
- Fry for about 1 minute on each side, or until they are golden brown.
- Place them on your paper towels to cool and then top while they are still warm.
- Frost with a variety of toppings; chocolate frosting, powdered sugar, glaze, and cinnamon and sugar.
Don’t forget to fry up your “holes” too. They cook very quickly and taste great. After they are done cooking put them in a paper bag with cinnamon and sugar and shake to coat. I don’t have any pictures because they didn’t last long enough!