Can you believe this chicken tortellini soup takes only 10 minutes to make? It is seriously so simple and a hit with the kids. My mother made this a few weeks ago and when I asked her for the recipe she said she didn’t have one! This is my recreation of her creation so the measurements are more like estimates. Feel free to tweak it to your liking and taste as you go.
- 2 cups Shredded chicken (I use chicken from my whole chicken in a crock pot recipe)
- Frozen cheese tortellini (one bag or two… or more if you are feeding a football team)
- 3 cups chicken broth (also from the whole chicken in a crock pot recipe)
- 3 cups water
- Adobo seasoning
- Onion (diced) or you can cheat and use minced
- Italian Seasoning
- 1 can rotel drained (optional)
- In a large pot add chicken broth, tortellini, and chicken. (I use about 3 cups of homemade broth and 3 cups water.)
- Cook over medium heat.
- Add a pinch of salt, pepper, Adobo seasoning, onion, Italian seasoning, and rotel (optional).
- Stir occasionally and heat thoroughly (about 7 minutes).
I use homemade chicken broth which is stronger than store bought. Use less water if using store bought broth. If using store bought broth do no use salt or the soup will be extra salty.
If you have some extra time saute the diced onions in a little butter before adding to the soup.