Our family has all but quit using traditional taco shells or tortillas for our tacos. So easy, and SO much healthier, lettuce leaves offer the perfect tool for serving the simplest or the most savory of fillings.
I like to use the crock pot to cook chicken during the day, and then use this simple method for shredding the chicken.
Tacos (or lettuce wraps in this case) are always a fun time, as each family member can customize their own any way they like it. You can make them different every time, adding guacamole or fresh pico de gallo. Or you can keep it simple by serving with black beans and a quick batch of quinoa.
Any way you plate it, these chicken tacos are sure to please.
- 4 - 6 chicken breasts
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 2 Tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- ¼ cup honey
- several whole lettuce leaves
- optional fillings: black beans, quinoa, brown rice, diced carrots, cheese, pico de gallo, etc.
- Place chicken breasts in crock pot and add seasonings and honey.
- Cook on medium heat setting for about six hours.
- When done, shred with fork, or in mixer bowl with dough paddle.
- Serve shredded chicken in lettuce bowls with your favorite fillings.
Find more delicious meal ideas at the The Happy Housewife Recipe Index.