Wow, I think this will be the last giveaway I host and have to choose a winner. You all made it too hard! All your recipes sounded delicious, and from the amount of white chicken chili recipes that were entered, I am going to have to make that recipe soon.
I finally chose Ellie’s recipe for Taco Soup. This recipe seemed to be a healthy and inexpensive recipe for fall football. I also thought her directions were hilarious. And while I was not judging based on the funniest recipe, when you have been getting less than 5 hours of sleep a night because of a teething baby a little laughter goes a long way!
I have posted the recipe below. Congrats Ellie!
In honor of Autumn, I share my never-fail-to-please Taco Soup. There are loads of good recipes with Frito Lay products but this works especially well for my families who are one or more of the following:
a) on a budget
b) health minded
c) short on time
d) like one-dish meals
All the ingredients can be as fresh or as canned as you like… I’ll write out the cheap/easy recipe and put the healthy substitutes in parentheses.
TACO SOUP– feeds my family of six with leftovers.
- 1 lb. ground beef (you can use turkey or go nuts with free range/organic beef if you can afford it)
- 1 packet taco seasoning (feel free to make up your own, if you’re laundry pile is low and you’ve no diapers to change: Allrecipes has a good recipe)
- 1 can diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning is best (or you can chop up about 3 fresh tomatoes and spice it how you like)
- 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce (if you’ve time to can your own tomato sauce, you probably don’t need to be inspired with any old recipe like this one)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained (all right, seriously everyone… if you want to soak dry beans overnight and cook them, it defeats the purpose of this being a quick and easy meal)
- 1 can corn (or about 1 1/2 cups fresh kernals or defrosted frozen)
- cheddar cheese (if you aren’t able to find Tillamook cheese, you have my pity and best wishes to find a substitute)
- plain yogurt (optional– and it’s way better than sour cream, so long as you don’t even THINK about getting a low or non fat kind!)
- avocado (optional and if you can afford it!)
- Any kind of Frito Lay corn chips… we like Tostitos.
Brown meat, drain fat and add taco seasoning as the package directs. In separate large saucepan or pot, add all the other ingredients and dump in cooked meat. You can add water to make this stretch further for more people. Let it simmer for a bit. It’ll look more like a very thick stew than a soup, unless you’ve added water.
Crunch up chips in bowl; dump a ladle full of soup on top. Sprinkle on cheese; dollop on yogurt and garnish with avocado in a way that tickles your fancy. Perfect for curling up on the couch with in front of the fireplace and watching leaves fall outside the window… unless you have three boys and baby girl like me and are better off to don full-on rain gear to avoid any “unintentional” blasts that may hit you across the table while the children devour their favorite meal and forget all my painstaking efforts to teach civility and manners at the mealtime. Enjoy.