The following is a post from contributing writer Dawn.
This recipe is so super simple and is a favorite among my family. My eight-year old loves to make it on his night to cook. I like to keep the marinara on hand in my freezer (with and without meat) for easy, no-brainer dinners. The prepared meal also freezes well for once-a-month cooking!
- one recipe of marinara sauce (see below for recipe)
- 1 1/2 pounds hamburger meat, cooked
- 23 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 16 ounces whole milk mozzarella cheese
- 16 ounces pasta (We use Brown Rice Penne from Trader Joe's)
- additional seasonings such as basil, oregano or parsley as desired
- 2 28-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup fresh parsley (2 tablespoons dried)
- 4 tablespoons fresh oregano (2 teaspoons dried)
- 4 tablespoons fresh basil (2 teaspoons dried)
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons good quality olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- Cook the onions and garlic in olive oil but do not brown. Add additional ingredients and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add hamburger meat and heat through. Allow to simmer an additional 30 minutes if desired to really let the meat flavor come out. If in a hurry, feel free to skip this step.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Add all ingredients except cheese to a large mixing bowl. Stir well.
- Spoon into baking dishes and place slices of mozzarella on top. Sprinkle with additional seasonings if desired.
- Bake until bubbly and the cheese is melted about 25 minutes.
Find more delicious meal ideas at the The Happy Housewife Recipe Index.