By contributing writer Andrea Green
I went to a BBQ recently where my friend Tiffany made these oven roasted cherry tomatoes with balsamic reduction. Everyone at the party enjoyed them so much, we all went home with the recipe.
These tomatoes are the perfect blend of sweet and tart. The roasting brings out the sweet flavors of the cherry tomatoes, then you toss them with tangy balsamic reduction.
When Tiffany gave me this recipe, she asked me if I knew how to make balsamic reduction. I replied, “Don’t you just buy it?”
Because balsamic reduction sounds fancy, I assumed it would be a lot of work to make. On the contrary! Balsamic reduction is actually quite easy to make and the results are both delicious and impressive. One thing to remember: you may want to open a window while cooking the vinegar since the smell is overpowering.
Serve these at your next BBQ as a side dish to chicken, fish, or beef. It is also wonderful mixed into quinoa for the vegetarians in your life.
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1½ pounds cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a small saucepan, heat the vinegar and honey over medium heat. Allow to cook until reduced to ½ cup. This should take approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place tomatoes on a large baking sheet. Toss with olive oil.
- Roast for 45 to 60 minutes or until tomatoes have shriveled and collapsed.
- Toss with the prepared balsamic reduction and serve.
You might also like…
- Spicy Sausage and Tomato Pasta
- Stuffed Tomatoes
- Tomato and Black Bean Salsa
- More recipes from Andrea